"Local authorities are uniquely placed to assess the needs of their areas and local residents and to act as catalysts for change. The Act recognises local authorities' ability to use their position to improve the energy efficiency of all residential accommodation (such as owner-occupied, privately rented and social housing) in their areas."
Excerpt from the Guidance to English Energy Conservation Authorities issued pursuant to the Home Energy Conservation Act 1995.
Benefits of our Home Energy Conservation Act strategy and reporting services to your council:
- Expert input into your HECA report.
- Help with building a local consensus.
- Modular service to suit your individual requirements.
Stage 1 – Data analysis
We obtain, analyse and interpret local data relating to buildings, insulation, energy consumption and socio-economic factors:
- Key characteristics of the housing stock (including details on heating, cavity wall insulation, SAP ratings).
- Sub-regional fuel poverty data.
- FiT and RHI-funded measures.
- Other available local data - e.g. house condition surveys.
These will be mapped, interpreted and presented using GIS software, and can be used to inform an area-based approach to home energy conservation, target affordable warmth measures and identify funding opportunities.
Stage 2 – Review of work to date/forward planning
We undertake desktop research on your council and its key partners, as well as on any on-going initiatives:
- Undertake brief telephone interviews with key council staff and social housing partners to establish the scale of recent improvement works and to discuss any future planned works.
- Review existing policy documentation and previous HECA returns.
- Conduct a gap analysis outlining what is working well and highlighting any opportunities.
Stage 3 – Report preparation
We produce a report/action plan, which builds on the work undertaken for previous HECA submissions and can serve as a fuel poverty and energy conservation strategy document:
- The report is HECA-compliant and includes an interpretation and commentary around maps, data and any work to date.
- We provide you with a draft report for your comments prior to finalising before submitting to BEIS.